Here is our review of the best baitcasting reel under 100$
How much money do you want to spend on a best baitcasting reel? For most people, 100$ is the upper limit. There are many different reels that fit this price point, but which one is best for you? The best baitcasting reel for one person may not be the best for another. There are a number of factors that you’ll need to take into account when making your decision, such as whether or not you’re left-handed, what kind of fishing you do, and how much money you want to spend. In this blog post, we will review 10 different products including their features and benefits so that it’s easier for you to make an informed choice!
Top 7 Best Baitcasting Reels Under 100$ In 2021
- Lews Speed Spool LFS
- Abu Garcia Revo X LP
- Daiwa CG80
- KastKing Royale Legend
- KastKing Crixus Armor X
- Piscifun Phantom Carbon baitcasting
- Abu Garcia Pro Max
Lew’s Speed Spool LFS Baitcasting Reel is a perfect budget baitcasting reel for any fisherman. It has a one-piece aluminum frame with an easily removable graphite palming side plate. It also contains a drilled, machined, and anodized aluminum 34mm spool. The aluminum makes the gear sturdy and more durable.
It also features a 10-bearing system with stainless steel double shielded bearings and a Zero Reverse one-way clutch.
Stainless steel offers durability while P2 Super Pinion bearing supported pinion gear provides precise alignment and solid stability resulting in smoother operation and extended gear life.
The Lews Speed Spool LFS Baitcasting Reel features an externally adjustable Magnetic Control System (MCS) to make backlashes as low as possible. The SoftTouch contoured paddle handle knobs allow easier control.
It also offers a zirconia line guide which is harder and smoother. In other words, they deliver less wearing, less friction, and less thermal heat up.
- A durable baitcasting reel.
- Smooth retrieval and long distance casting
- Very good reel for this price.
- The knob is large and easy to control
- Comfortable when you wrap your hands around it.
- It comes with a small handle, but the large knob may compensate for it.
- It’s harder to cast light baits with it.
The Abu Garcia Revo X LP Baitcasting Reel is one of the high-quality low profile baitcasting reels for beginners to intermediate level anglers.
It comes with 8 stainless steel ball bearings. It has a magnetic braking system that fights backlashes. The Duragear brass gear provides extended gear life. A carbon matrix hybrid drag system provides smooth and consistent drags.
The Abu Garcia Revo X LP Baitcasting Reel will provide an affordable way to get into fishing without having to break the bank. I think it’s one of the best bangs for your bucks.
It also comes with large handle grips which makes fighting with a fish a lot easier.
- High value for the money you pay.
- Long handle with large grips for better control.
- Very smooth with a good braking system the prevents backlashes.
- The reel looks cheap. However, from the inside, it is worth the money.
- The reel comes a bit stiff out of the box
- The switch placement isn’t the best. You can accidentally hit the switch letting the cover pop off.
The Daiwa CG80 Baitcasting Reel is a high-quality reel with an anodized aluminum spool and carbon concept frames. It features Double Anodization makes the reel more durable and more corrosion resistant while also reducing weight in comparison to Aluminum. This is because Carbon offers less durability than Aluminum but its lighter weight means that it’ll reduce strain throughout long days of fishing.
The Daiwa CC80 Casting Reel features a reduced frame to spool ratio which makes it easier on your palms and is good for long fishing days.
- The magnetic cast prevent backlashes
- Very Smooth Drag
- Lightweight with good quality
- No noise when gearing
- Good value for the dollars paid
- The carbon frame isn’t the best out there and less durable than Aluminum.
KastKing Royale Legend is one of the best saltwater baitcasting reel under 100%. It offers an ergonomic design that fits perfectly in your hands. The nice thing about it is that it works in both saltwater fishing and freshwater. The feature you will love the most about this product is that it’s affordable!
It also has 10 double-shielded, stainless-steel bearings, and an instant anti-reverse. The anti-reverse helps you to focus on fishing without the need to take care of the line being pulled away.
The hardened aluminum main gears deliver durability and are lightweight. KastKing used an easily accessible magnetic brakes with 10 levels of adjustment to make controlling backlashes easier for you.
This reel also features a swing-wing style side cover that opens by swings out and away for access to the spool. Don’t worry, it stays attached to the frame and won’t e lost! It comes with comfortable rubber handle knobs, stainless steel main shaft, and kick lever.
- Kastking offers good customer support
- Easy sensitive drag adjustment
- The reel can handle a wide variety of baits
- Can cast for long distances
- Nice smoothness
- You get expensive abilities for a good budget price
- Small and palms perfect in your hand.
- Suitable for left and right handed.
- A little noisy gear system.
- While looking cool on the exterior, the edges and ridges make it less comfortable while holding it.
- While the magnetic system protects you from bird nests, you may experience some backlashes.
- The brakes aren’t rigid enough. They are not very linear which makes it harder to deal with light baits.
The KastKing Crixus Armor X is one of the lightweight baitcasting fishing reels on our list. It has some features that make this product stand out in the market:
- It features a pure aluminum frame that provides you with rigidity and strength.
- Lightweight Super Polymer grips. The polymers make it hard to slip off your hands.
- It also has 10 (9+1) shielded, stainless-steel ball bearings plus an instant anti-reverse bearing. (We’ve already talked about how important the ant-reverse is. We will also address it again in the buying guide section).
- The precision-cut brass pinion gear for longer life, higher speeds, and low noise make this product stand out in the market!
- A braking system with 8 magnets provides 8 buttons for easy and precise adjustments without removing the side plates.
- The adjustments can be easily done through a spool tension knob. It helps reduce the overruns and backlashes for a more enjoyable fishing journey for you.
- A 4-carbon disc drag washers with a 17.6 Ibs dragging power. Ther are suitable for a wide variety of species.
- A U shapes spool gives you more line capacity for a larger casting distance.
- This baitcasting reel offers high value for the money.
- Lightweight reel.
- delivers high value for the price.
- Sturdy reel.
- Smooth and user-friendly.
- Fit in hands well.
- While having a strong magnetic braking system on the exterior, it doesn’t have a centrifugal one. This makes preventing backlashes a little harder.
- They are cheaply made.
Piscifun is a new company that offers some of the best fishing gear. With features like premium carbon fiber frame, side plates and handle providing significant weight reduction. However, it’s not as durable as aluminum ones.
The 6 anti-corrosion stainless steel ball bearings plus 1 clutch bearing all shield to extend the durability. They supplied it with Double hard anodized Aircraft grade aluminum main gear. The Aluminum makes it more durable and resists scratches more.
The main gear is paired with 4 disc carbon fiber drag washers that deliver 17 lbs of max drag power making it strong enough for large fish species.
Some Extra Features:
A more efficient dual braking system that minimizes backlashes and increases casting distance.
Note: Dual braking system means Centrifugal and magnetic system
- An oversized titanium line guide that positions the line further away from the spool to minimize friction and maximize performance.
- Has a dual braking system.
- very lightweight baitcasting reel.
- Fairly good value for the money.
- Casts great.
- The cover plate releases easily making it easy to adjust the internal brake control.
- Not the best with heavy lures.
- It’s not that small, so it doesn’t fit very well in hands.
- a little noisy reel.
- Not very smooth like other ones.
Abu Garcia Pro Max has 7 corrosion-resistant stainless steel ball bearings + 1 roller bearing. The number is suitable for high smoothness with being durable and corrosion-resistant thanks to stainless steel.
It has a machined double anodized aluminum spool for more durability. The graphite frames and side plates are lighter and more resistant to corrosion than aluminum but don’t have the same strength.
The custom-designed co-molded handle knobs make it more comfortable. In addition, The Duragear brass gear helps extend the gear life of Abu Garcia Pro Max.
Overall, while it’s a good baitcasting reel for the price, don’t expect premium performance.
- 7+1 BB provides a smooth retrieve, but not the best ever.
- Very suitable for beginners. It’s easy to learn on.
- Available for left and right handed.
- This baitcasting reel delivers distant and accurate casts.
- The reels come with a great value for the price.
- The is reel is noisy.
- The handle has a lot of movement and comes loose.
What Factors To Consider When Choosing The Best Baitcasting Reel For The Money?
I know that buying a new baitcasting reel can be tough! Do you feel overwhelmed? whether you’re going for expensive or cheap baitcasting reels, you need to understand how to buy it. The good news is the I’ve put together a detailed buying guide to make it through the listed products above. We’ve included everything from the types, materials, braking systems to the comfortability. Enough talking, let’s go to the work. Here is acouple of essential factors to think about before buying your next baitcasting reel:
There are 2 types to choose from:
- Low profile design
- The round spool design
How to choose between them? here is a quick guide:
The round Spool Design:
- Larger fishing line capacity than any other reels type.
- Suitable for surfcasting and deep water fishing
- Great for long-distance casting
Low profile design
These types are:
- Lightweight, ergonomic design.
- Suitable for light spin fishing and for long fishing days
You also may want to check: The 6 Best Musky Rods for Your Next Fishing Trip.
The best material for baitcasting reel framers is usually made of Aluminum or graphite. Graphite is best when you’re looking for affordability and lightweightness, besides its strength.
Aluminum offers more durability and sturdiness, but it comes at more expensive prices.
Please note that while graphite is less durable than aluminum reels, it’s durable enough for most applications.
Note: Usually one-piece frames are better than other types.
The braking system
You need a good braking system when looking for the best baitcasting reel under 100. that can effectively slow down your line and prevent baitcasting bird nests. Magnetic and centrifugal braking systems are the most popular with baitcasting reels.
Magnetic braking systems use magnets that are installed on the brake arm or spool of the reel to engage with a stationary magnet on the fishline. As you wind in line, these magnets will snap together, stopping the spool from spinning, thereby stopping your lure.
A centrifugal system uses a sequence of braking pads within the plate, which puts pressure on a brake ring to slow down the spool. Obviously, the greater pressure these brake pads apply on the brake ring, the faster it will come to a stop.
Choosing between them is related to your personal preference. There also fishing reel models out there that use a combination of both systems.
Don’t forget to tighten your knob, if you’re going for heavy lures.
The gear ratios is an important consideration when buying a baitcasting reel. It measures how fast your reel is by determining how many spool rotations for every one handle rotation. The gear ratio is a personal preference. However, we recommend staying between 4:1 and 6:1, depending on your lures:
- Use 4.1 for spinnerbaits and diving crankbaits.
- Use 5.1 for jigs, soft plastic, and Texas jigs.
- Use 6.1 if your lures are fast enough.
The Drag System
The drag system is a crucial component for baitcasting reels. It determines how hard the reel will have to work when a fish takes the bait. The best way to think about drag is in reference to gas mileage. Gas mileage in a car tells you how many miles the engine will go before it needs more fuel. Drag lets you know how much power you’ll need in order to handle your fishing line without breaking it.
If you’re up to large fish, you need a strong drag system which is referred to by maximum pound pressure. You also need to be easily adjustable. Most baitcasting reel usually comes with a star adjustment knob.
Baitcasting reel weight is another important factor to consider before buying a baitcasting reel. A heavy reel will require more strength and energy to cast the line and catch the fish. But this will also make reeling in the fish easier and ensure that you don’t lose your catch. A lighter reel. On the other hand, is more suited for anglers with less muscle power.
A more important aspect is to match your rod weight. A heavy reel on a light rod makes casting more difficult.
Here is an article that you maybe interested in: 5 Best Trout Fishing Rod And Reel Combos: Review and Buyer’s Guide.
Construction is based on 4 factors:
- The frame materials: We already talked about it in the above paragraphs.
- Ball Bearings.
Let’s talk about every one of them in a bit of detail:
Ball bearings are an integral part of the best baitcasting reels. They control how smooth your reels are. Buyers should look for quality construction over the bearing number. Don’t get fooled with some low-quality reels that offer 12 substandard ball bearings.
We recommend going for stainless ball bearings, as they are very suitable for baitcasting.
What you should know about spools is that they have a lot to do with your baitcasting reel’s durability, casting distance, and even your baitcasting reel’s performance.
Thanks to the holes drilled into spools. Most of them are lightweight and spinning-friendly (easy to start and stop). A good material to choose is Aluminum. However, if you’re on a budget, you can go for die-cast aluminum. I will do the job.
A baitcasting reel should have a well-designed handle in order to be used easily in any position. Many anglers prefer oversized handles as they are easier to control.
Spool size and line capacity
When looking for a baitcast reel, you should pay attention to the spool size and line capacity. Larger spools offer greater line capacity without having to load up on bulkier spools of line. My advice is to analyze your fishing trip and decide which species you’re going to target.
For large species, you’re going to need higher spool sizes and to carry higher weights of lines.
For conventional fishing trips, Large spool sizes won’t matter a lot, as you won’t need that much line.
Last but not least, a very important factor that you should consider is the comfortability of the reel. The best baitcasting reel should feel comfortable in your hand. If it feels too heavy, then you might want to reconsider getting the best one. There are no specific recommendations here. Just make sure that reel size, handle knob and other features are comfortable enough.
IF you’re into saltwater fishing, you’ve to ensure that your baitcasting reel is corrosion resistant. Materials like stainless steel resists saltwater effects. For more information, you can visit our guide about best budget saltwater baitcasters.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Abu Garcia Baitcast reels good?
Abu Garcia Baitcasting reels are one of the most popular fishing reel brands.
Often you can find Abu Garcia tackle on the tournament circuits, available in a variety of features and advantages, these reels are for all-purpose fishing needs.
In our list, we choose Abu Garcia Revo X LP Baitcasting Reel and Abu Garcia Pro Max as they are both of the best casting reels for money out there.
Why are Baitcasters better?
Baitcasters are better than spinning reels in some aspects. Because they allow for more control over the amount of weight used to cast the bait. Also, if your line breaks while casting, you can release the trigger and re-cast the line without making the reel spool faster than it was before.
With crankbaits or spinners, if you release pressure on one reel handle or one arm while reeling in with the opposite handle arm or arm, this will cause a sudden load to be placed on that side of construction which may lead to snagging problems and/or breakage.
baitcaster reel is recommended for advanced fishermen as they usually need to use multiple fishing lures to get better results.
Is it hard to fish with a baitcaster?
Learning to cast a bait caster isn’t hard. It’s just more difficult than a spinning reel and needs more practice.
By watching some youtube videos and reading some notes you can and learn it on your own. With some practice, you can perfect your cast.
Are Baitcasters worth it?
Baitcasting reels work with various types of lures and baits. Something that experienced anglers will appreciate.
They are also more accurate. Overall, of course, baitcaster reels are worth it, if you know what you’re doing.
The Bottom Line
For the angler who is looking to get a good baitcasting reel for their fishing needs, it can be difficult to find one that fits your budget and still has great features. Luckily, we’ve analyzed 7 of the best baitcasters under $100 on the market today so you don’t have to do all of the work yourself! We hope this buyer’s guide will help you make an informed decision about which baitcaster would be right for your next fishing trip. Good luck out there on the water!